The Bell, Book, and Candle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watcha cookin' for Beltane?

Go down

Watcha cookin' for Beltane? Empty Watcha cookin' for Beltane?

Post  Meg Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 pm

I plan on cooking these -

SAVORY CHEESE SCONES

2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups Grated cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Butter
1/3 cup Milk
2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine all dry ingredients, stir in cheeses and toss well. Cut in butter. Combine eggs and milk, add to flour mixture and gently knead to form a stiff dough. Cut dough ball into halves and pat each half into an 8" diameter, 1/2" thick circle. Cut into wedges, place wedges on a baking sheet and bake 15 to 17 minutes, until lightly browned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOAT CHEESE & SPINACH TURNOVERS (yes, I like cheese)

1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 cup Diced red onion
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 bunches Fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
2 ounces Soft fresh goat cheese
1/3 cup Toasted pine nuts
3 Tablespoons Grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Grated lemon peel
4 Frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add spinach and sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain spinach mixture, pressing on solids to release as much liquid as possible. Transfer to bowl and cool completely. Add goat cheese, pine nuts, parmesan, rosemary and lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Cut lengthwise into 3 strips. Brush with butter. Place 1 rounded Tablespoon filling at 1 end of dough strip. Starting at 1 corner, fold pastry over filling, forming triangle. Repeat, folding up length of pastry as for flag. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling. Transfer turnovers to baking sheet. Cover and chill. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake turnover until golden, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly and serve. Makes 12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OATCAKES - SCOTS

1/2 cup Shortening
1 cup Oats or quick-cooking oats
1 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 - 3 Tablespoons Cold Water
Cut shortening into next four ingredients until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until it forms a stiff dough. Roll until 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into 2 inch rounds or squares. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 until they just start to brown - 12 to 15 minutes. To griddle bake; bake on a hot griddle or frying-pan until the edges begin to curl. Turn over and cook the other side. Do not let the oatcakes brown; they should be a pale fawn color. Put on a wire rack to cool. They are delicious served with cheese. (I'm thinking honey - it is what I seem to read in a lot about, oatcakes and honey.)

What are you cooking?
Meg
Meg
Admin

http://theramblinghedgewitch.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down